The California Association for Bilingual Education (CABE) is pleased to announce the recent hiring of Dr. Kris Nicholls as the new Director for CABE Professional Development Services (CABE PDS) effective July 20, 2015.
Dr. Kris Nicholls comes to CABE from the University of California Riverside’s Graduate School of Education as well as four years of experience as administrative manager in the Riverside County Office of Education’s Instructional Services Unit. She has two bachelor’s degrees, a master’s degree in education with a bilingual emphasis from CSU San Bernardino, and a Ph.D. in curriculum and instruction from UCR’s Graduate School of Education. She is fluent in Spanish and English and has had extensive experience working both locally and statewide on issues related to the instruction, including differentiated instruction, and academic achievement of all students, including English Learners, those who are learning English at the same time they are being taught academic content in English. She is also recognized for her work at the local and state level in the areas of English language development and reclassification of English Learners.
Formed in 2013 under the innovative leadership of Managing Consultant Elizabeth Jimenez- Salinas, CABE PDS provides outstanding direct professional development contracted services and coaching directly to schools and districts throughout the state of California and beyond. CABE, widely known and respected as the premier provider of cutting edge information on instruction and practice for English Learners and biliteracy programs, has expanded its reach to individual counties, school districts and schools, companies and entities that serve teachers, students, and parents of English Learners throughout the year.
CABE PDS Consultants and Experts offer the following key areas of professional service:
- Intensive institutes and seminars on instructional strategies for English Learners
- CABE Trainer Certification on key topics and presentation skills (e.g. ELD standards, Dual Language Immersion, Integrating EL strategies in content areas K-12, Academic Spanish Language development, etc.)
- Outstanding consultants and presenters, timely topics and customized expert offerings
- Ongoing, on-site classroom instructional coaching
- Instructional Materials Review Teams to certify appropriateness for English Learners
- Training for administrators on how to run productive, well-attended, official ELAC and DELAC meetings
- Literature and supplementary materials – available for purchase on-line For further information on CABE PDS and to inquire about options and services, please contact Jesse Acosta at: email@example.com or via phone at 626-814-4441 ext. 212.